Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Featuring Didi Menendez-Mary Brown Eyes

Sweet Mary Brown Eyes

Mary bought herself new running shoes
Mary bought herself three new DVDs
Mary bought Smirnoff orange flavored vodka
Mary drank two glasses with crushed ice while she watched the first DVD
Mary put her new running shoes on
Mary put Crosby Stills Nash And Young Best Hits on her Sony
Mary listens to Judy Blue Eyes
Mary does not understand the Spanish at the end of the song
Mary was born in Cuba
Mary knows how to speak Spanish
Mary does not shove her language to degree earned non speakers
Mary knows that sometimes they totally fuck up the language
Mary lets them
Mary does not understand Crosby's guajiro
Mary says hey it is like what Silliman was trying to say about Coolidge
Mary says ala Bandstand, its got a good beat and I can dance to it, I?ll give Coolidge a 7.5 Dick
Mary prefers to dance to Bukowski
Mary runs harder when the do do do do do do do do at the end goes full swing
Mary runs underneath a mango tree and starts to run backwards so she can see how well hung the tree is
Mary could jump and dunk for a mango
Mary turns around and keeps running
Mary is not addicted to alcohol
Mary has been addicted to the internet for 10 years
Mary wants to reach out and touch him as if he were a mango
Mary rewinds Judy Blue Eyes
Mary listens to it's getting to the point, I am sorry, Sometimes it hurts so badly
Mary must cry out loud

Mary is lonely
Mary keeps listening, don't let the past remind us of what we are not now
Mary keeps running


For Prissy

(the italics mean I took from the lyrics of the song Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby Still Nash and Young's lyric)

Thanks for the poem, d. I love it! Readers, check the cafecafe link to the right for the main blog didi manages. Many good poems there, reviews and announcements.

3 comments:

Pris said...

Hi Michael
Yes, she posted it on cafecafe. I asked her permission to post it here. I really love her poetry and, of course, this one meant a lot to me.

I have a fax in to my doctor as of the wee hours this morning to see if they could prod the lab if the results hadn't been sent back. I'll email you (and a few others who're also waiting for this saga to end...gads) when I hear something. In the meantime..fingernails firmly planted into cliff edge, hanging on with this continued discomfort.
Thanks for asking.
Pris

Unknown said...

I think you are the only living soul that has a copy of this poem. I don't even have it anymore.

Pris said...

Then I'm extra glad I kept it!