Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Dreaming.....



Accepted for publication in Simply Haiku

Somehow, when I look at this haiga it makes me think of past loves. Over the years, there've been a number of men I loved or thought I loved at the time. With some, the feelings ended when the relationship ended--or before, actually. Then there's that one or two who linger. It took me years to stop thinking about the man I lived in the commune with. We'd been together a bit over five years. One day he came in and told me he was leaving in two weeks. Already had an apartment. Since he married six months later, he may have already had another person in his life, too. I thought he was the love of my lifetime. I still had occasional dreams about him ten years later. It turns out I was wrong about him being my great love and time finally faded him, thank god. I have a friend who still occasionally fantasizes that she's again with a man she was crazy about in her late teens early twenties. She knows if she actually saw him, it wouldn't be the same at all, but....

What's the longest you've pined for someone? What made their hold on you that powerful?

Pris

3 comments:

Pris said...

Hi Michael
Thanks. I do have fun creating these.
Pris

Anonymous said...

A lovely thoughtful haiga Pris, and great news that it will be featured in SH. Having followed your life through the medium of your poems, I think these words were written about you - you loved 'not wisely, but too well'!

Who did I pine for? Well, I met Jill on 15 September, asked her to marry me six weeks later (it turned out she had been pining for me to ask her!)and we married on 5 December - so, I pined for her all of 11 weeks before she was mine. That was in 1958, so eleven weeks of pining wasn't bad, out of 47 years, was it?

Pris said...

You don't know how lucky you are, kiddo!! You're one of the vast minority I know with a great marriage.