Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Have you ever thought somebody was still alive...

...then found out they'd been dead for almost nine years? When I first moved to Boston to put my first husband through law school, I found a job under T.X. Barber at the Medfield Foundation, an institute dedicated to collating pain research and debunking most of the myths about hypnosis. My friend, Barbara (in the lower post 'What are friend for?') and I were the only females in an enclave of some pretty bright men who still at that time thought women could NOT think or properly do research, including our boss. Why were we hired, then? Who knows??It was an uphill battle for us and crazy times.

Recently, the man in the bottom of the photo (John, who was the only one who didn't treat Barb and me like idiots) and I exchanged a couple of email notes, which led me to wonder where the one in the middle was. Nick Spanos was wild, brillant and did or said what he thought--and yes, he bulled a lot, too, and considered you a fool if you believed him. His car was a garbage bin, as was his office and his apartment there near work. He went on to an outstanding career. I'd heard about him from time to time. It was only when I googled him that I learned he'd died in a small plane crash in 1996. Here's to you, Nick. You're up there with the Big Bopper, probably bulling him, too!

3 comments:

Paul said...

I know what you mean. A year ago I learned one of my best friends from grade school had died ten years earlier. So even though we'd obviously been out of touch a long time, it still took me months to get my mind around his not being around anymore.

Pris said...

It's an eerie feeling, isn't it?

Pris said...

You did it. Now that you know, come back, come back!