I decided to try a new templet to give my page a fresh look. In the old blogger, the look changed, but the templet was still in basic html coding. This time, to my horror, all of my links, my counter, any extras had disappeared. I'd spent over two years adding my links. When I used the new blogger tool to add links, I discovered that they had to be done ONE AT A TIME. Impossible. The old html templet was gone, too, replaced with a code that didn't resemble any html I'd seen. I still had a copy of my old templet, but no matter where I tried, blogger refused the code. Finally, in the help section I spotted their note about the 'revert' button.
It worked. Whew! My blog may be less colorful, but everything's back.
Heed my experience.