Friday, January 01, 2010

A New Years Eve memory....

My eyes continue to keep me mostly off the computer, but I'm hoping this year will be a stronger one.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite New Years Eve memories because it was so different.

Back when I was living in a Boston commune with the nameless R who traveled down the east coast with me in my book, Sea Trails, I'd flown to Pageland, S.C., my hometown, for Christmas. My plane was due in mid-evening New Year's Eve. There were delays. I picked up a bottle of cold champagne at Logan and caught a taxi with another gal headed up Commonwealth. It was creeping towards midnight and I'd told R I would try my best to get there in time to be there with him. Traffic became a parking lot at the Commons and the clock was ticking down ten minutes to midnight. I told the cabbie to open the trunk. I quickly got out the champagne, popped the cork and all three of us took a swig from the bottle as the people in the cars all around us started screaming Happy New Year. It was exhilarating. R was up and waiting when I got there. Those were in the times when we were still giddy with each other and I was glad to rush into his arms.

a blue moon drifts
over roaring crowds
the Tiger arrives

14 comments:

Toni said...

What a delightful story, Pris. It made me smile and want to celebrate the new year. Happy New Year!

Jim K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montgomery Maxton said...

lovely story.

Pris said...

Thanks, folks, and Jim, I can imagine exactly where you were!

Middle Ditch said...

Love the story Pris. Sorry I haven't been here for a while.

A belated happy and creative 2010. I hope your eyes will be better soon.

Pris said...

Monique, pls don't worry about it. I've been able to visit almost no-one during this time and haven't been to say hi at Middle Ditch in ages. Know that I think about you and David!

Middle Ditch said...

I know Pris, take care

me/cfs warrior said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it!

I hope your eyes recover quickly...

Happy New Year Pris. Hopefully this will be the year when we will get some answers...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes...it's fun when things actually don't go according to plan. Happy New Year Pris...xxx

Pris said...

Hi C Warrier...I hope they get better soon , too. Thanks.

Ellen, so true!

colleen said...

I can see and hear it all so clearly.

Good to catch up. Take care of your eyes. We've been sleeping with wool hats on in Virginia.

Pris said...

Colleen, good to see you. Yes, not on the puter much yet. Wool hats. Now that's cold. I have a robe with a hood and have been pulling it up over my head nights, too.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Great story! Happy New Year to you, Pris. (Just catching up on my email and notifications, after being offline a few weeks during house move.)

bandit said...

Hey, love the poem!
I beat the Hell out of that blue moon, though I was scared stiff to even think a bout writing of a tiger.
Works great with the story...
but, no great surprise-I'm a monkey.