Monday, January 28, 2008

Nick Bruno has thrown out a challenge.

I'm going to take a shot at it on the installment plan. I originally found his link on Sam Rasnake's blog.

This is the essence of the challenge, but go to Nick's blog entry on Thursday, January 24 for the full skinny and his choices:


If you were to liken your poetry to a musical genre and match it in its intrinsic elements of poetry to a specific form of music, artist or even song(s) what might that (those) be? So let's say for the sake of comparison that if you were to choose 5 songs; pieces and/or artists which would best approximate your poetic sensibilities and style which would they be? If possible post them in You Tube form.

Here's my first one.

Tell It Like It Is

8 comments:

Nick said...

The Monterey International Pop Music Festival was definitiely a coming out party for one Janis Joplin (& Jimmi Hendrix). I think everybody had a reaction that was similar to Mama Cass when they hear this rendition of "Tell it Like it is". Great choice! I'd like to also add your link to my blog roll if that's fine with you. Thanks for picking up on my meme.

Pris said...

Hi Nick
I'd love the link. Thanks. Janis Joplin was one of a kind, as was Mama Cass. I think they both gave a lot of women hope that you didn't have to be a 'babe' to make it in rock music.

Collin Kelley said...

You can't go wrong with a little Janis. Great first selection. My next two are up now.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

My God what a performance. Joplin is such a rare talent. Great choice, Pris.

Montgomery Maxton said...

love love love Janis!

Pris said...

Isn't she super?? I remember when she sang with Big Brother and the Holding Company, a group that later read like the 'who's who of rock and roll'!

Jim K. said...

In the best performances,
someone is in the grip
of something bigger...
Janis is amazing on the
microphone.

Jim K. said...

Oh....I got mine
up and embedded, Pris!
Thanks for the tutorial.
I picked 5 factors from
dozens.