Saturday, July 21, 2007

Young@Heart sings I Will Fix You (Youtube vid...from a UK documentary on the elderly.)

The below text comes from the youtube site:

'This is from a documentary shown on Channel 4 in the UK called 'Young@Heart'; the name of the New England octogenarian chorus line. The performer here is Fred Knittle, who suffers from congestive heart failure. This song was intended to be a duet between Fred and another chorus member, Bob Salvini. Sadly, Bob died of a heart attack and it was left to Fred to carry the song on his own. If I'm correct, the people you see crying at 01:13 are Bob's family. The lady you occasionally see mouthing the lyrics in the audience is Fred's wife.'

Dec 2010 edit: This video continues to be removed from youtube. Embedding isn't allowed but it can currently found at THIS YOUTUBE LINK

I added this edit, since my profile page webtracker regularly shows people coming to this page.


LYRICS

Artist: Coldplay
Album: X&Y
Year: 2005
Title: Fix You

When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

High up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but If you never try you'll never know
Just what your worth

Lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears streaming down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears streaming down your face and I

Tears streaming down your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face and I

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you


Coldplay Lyrics
[Fix You Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com]

7 comments:

Berenice said...

How I relate to this song, so much. I seem to recall the Coldplay version, but this is much much better and means a great deal more. B xx

Collin Kelley said...

That's such a beautiful song by Coldplay and what a moving version here. Thanks for posting it Pris.

Pris said...

The elderly are ignored and rediculed too much in our society. I was so glad to find this video.

tom said...

powerful, pris

and so good to see this recognition of the elderly (hell, it ain't that far in the future)

Pris said...

Hi Tom
I've played this several times, it's done so well. In the menu of little vids that comes up at the bottom when this finishes, there's the choice to play the version sung by /coldplay, a group I like very much. They do a quite sensitive rendering of the song, too.

Annie Wicking said...

Wonderful, Just like our Zimmers Group... Wish we could see more like it. I love seeing the elderly enjoying themselves and putting the young ones to shame.:-)

Best wishes

Annie

Pris said...

Hi Annie
I agree so much!