Monday, September 25, 2006

Should the National Anthem also be sung in Spanish---the controvery.

An article in about.com presents a pretty even view of what is becoming a controvery splitting us down the middle again on the issue of the use of English in our country.

Quote from the first part of this article:

On Friday, April 28, 2006 several Los Angeles Hispanic radio stations joined a nationwide campaign to play "Nuestro Himno," which means "Our Hymn/Anthem," as a way to show solidarity for the May 1st National Boycott.
In response, President Bush told reporters in the White House Rose Garden, "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

Let's hope after those comments that Mexican Presidente Vicente Fox will still graciously invite President Bush to Mexico for continued commerce discussions that can mutually benefit both America and Mexico.

Let's also hope that Presidente Fox doesn't echo Bush's words and tell him, "I think that people who want to conduct business negotiations with Mexico ought to learn Spanish and out of respect ought to speak Spanish during business talks, if they want favorable business results."

- The Idea Behind the Spanish Anthem -

British music producer Adam Kidron, who came up with the idea of the Spanish anthem, shared in a written statement that the Spanish anthem was not intended to discourage immigrants from learning English or embracing American culture.
to finish reading this article, click HERE.

Leave your view in a comment. What do you think? Also leave your general location. It seems that people in the states bordering Mexico and residents of Florida where the trend is for the language to become more bilingual (including requirements in many places such as banks that the employees BE bilingual) have stronger views than in, say, Kansas.

Pris

5 comments:

Lyle Daggett said...

As a matter of principle, I don't sing the U.S. national anthem in any language. I don't have any problem with someone writing or singing a Spanish language version of the U.S. national anthem. Or any other language, for that matter.

I have, however, over the years, learned the words to the "Internationale" in five or six languages. I do stand up for it (whenever an occasion arises), and I sing. If I'm in a public place and the Star Spangle Banner is played, I quietly sing the "Internationale" while everybody else is singing whatever they're singing.

I live in Minneapolis, a city that -- together with St. Paul -- has (at last count) the largest Hmong immigrant population in the United States, the largest Somali immigrant population in the U.S., and the largest urban population of Native American people in the U.S. A neighborhood clinic a mile or so from where I live has a large hand lettered sign in the window giving information in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Hmong, and Somali.

People have a right to be wherever they are. National borders are a criminal act.

Pris said...

Lyle...your views are always interesting. Thank you. I didn't realize such a diversified group of people lived in your area. Move down the map to someplace like St Louis and you won't see anything like that.

Thanks for your good wishes, too. I'm trying my best to get on my feet again and get back to feeling better again.

J C said...

Just discovered your site, linked from Ray. I live in Florida, and I don't agree that people are leaning toward singing the anthem in another language. I have many Cuban friends, and they all speak English. I am a firm believer in learning English if you are going to live here as a permanant home. Why? Well, here's an example. I saw a lady at Home Depot trying to tell the clerk what she wanted to buy. She couldn't speak a word of English, nor could he speak (what I believe was) French. I am a firm believer in "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"..at least if you are going to become a permanant fixture there. I am not a Bush fan, but I am behind his statement of learning English 100%. And yes, government business should be done in that government's language. That's why we have interpreters.

So many people come to America and take advantage. I have Chinese acquaintences who have a very successful restaurant, yet they only claim an income of $14,000/year on their taxes. They had a child and "got in the system" so they wouldn't have to pay the hospital bills even tho they can well afford it. They drive new cars and live in a nice home and always have rolls of cash in their pockets. Cash business! So when I know things like this go on, I find it hard to say one doesn't have to learn simple English if you live here. Your poems are awesome. Good wishes to you.

Pris said...

Glad you found my blog and thanks for your viewpoint. Tis appreciated as is your kind words about my poetry.

Unknown said...

Hello my name is Randal and i live in ft worth tx and if only Frances ZScott Key knew what was going on and the patriots that held that flag high could see what has become of the country they loved so much they would roll over in there grave .
America love it or leave it the imigrant problem has decreased what people use to make on a job and has put more people in the unimployment line than the BUsh administration will admit wake up America remember who fought and died for our freedom is it worth it to let this country collapse becouse of open bourders go to mexico and try to do business in english good luck well that is my 1cence alittle long but i love this country and will gladed die for our freedom ..